Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Potluck - ack!

Friday, December 3, 2010
Church Christmas party potluck. Let me just get this out there right up front: I hate potlucks and always have. So, how to navigate in my new gluten-free world? I brought both a main dish and a side dish of my own making, but was worried that it might be gone by the time I made it through the potluck line. So I scooped myself a serving of potatoes and a slice of ham before it went on the table. Of course, that was 45 minutes before we actually ate so it was completely cold. Oh well.

I suppose I should share a couple things I learned in this process: a) the powdered glaze packet that comes with ham contains wheat; b) canned cream of anything soup contains wheat; and c) apparently it's improper to bring a green salad to a potluck sans croutons--because EVERY SINGLE SALAD at the party had croutons on it. I have never liked croutons, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. My fault for the croutons. I would have totally made salad without it had I been remotely aware. But I'm ready for the next time I have to bring it. It will be crouton free. And welcome to the blogging world. I was so good at it in the past and now I suck. Wish I liked to do it better. Oh well. Can't say I didn't try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really noticed croutons until they became a problem because I always picked them out. But they always hurt the roof of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete